Iorfa Bags Football League Young Player Award

Former Nigeria international son, Dominic Iorfa junior has been awarded The Football League's Young Player award of the Month January.


The Defender was rewarded for his impressive impact ever since he made his way into the first team set up of Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Championship in England.


The 19-year-old defender made his first team debut against Bournemouth on December 6 and stamped his authority and became an integral part of a Wolves back line that kept three clean sheets in the Championship in January, picking up two wins and two draws along the way. 


Iorfar’s rising into Kenny Jackett’s team was coincided with a run of form that saw Wolves close the gap on the play-off pack and take Fulham to an FA Cup replay in a 0-0 draw making it four shutouts during the month. 


The 6th 4 in tall defender can operate comfortably and effectively at centre half, right back with his high level of athleticism and composure on the ball which has endeared him into the heart of the fans which has also prompted them to create their own terrace chant for him. 


Speaking to the official website of his club after being named The Football League’s January Young Player of the Month Iorfa said: “I’ve seen some of the other players that have won it and they are all good young players who have been doing really well, so for me to be in that list of winners is very good and I’m very happy.


"It’s been a good few months for me and I just want to push on from here.


“The gaffer has shown that if you’re good enough, he’ll give you a chance, so that was one of my aims for the season - if I kept my head down and kept working hard, come the end of the season I might break into the first team. Luckily for me, that’s happened a lot earlier and I’m still in the team now so I’ve got to keep working hard.


 “The fans have been brilliant. I can’t believe I’ve got my own song already. I couldn’t believe it when it first started. I heard them singing and thought ‘that can’t be my name’. Then it went on for about another 20 minutes, and ever since then they’ve sung it at every game. It’s been really good."he concluded.


Dominic Iorfa made his senior debut playing for Shrewsbury Town last season before making a full Wolves debut at the end of 2014.

Iorfa has also represented England under-18s and is currently in the under-19 squad. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Onuachu, Onyedika, Onyeka Visit Boyhood Club FC Ebedei

FIFA Hit Banik Ostrava With Transfer Ban Over 36 Lion's Outstanding Transfer Fees

Lotus Bank Abeokuta 10km Race: Bukola Olopade Is The Best Organiser Of Sporting Events In Nigeria, Says Oba Of Egbaland